Tuesday 1 August 2017

A Snowflake in July



One of my summer targets was to move this project from the 'Never Likely to be Finished' pile to become merely 'Unfinished'. It was started in a burst of enthusiasm as part of a much bigger, very complicated pattern involving hundreds of 1/2 inch hexagons. I liked the idea of a hexagon design that wasn't flowery, and I thought a snowflake in hot colours would be a good twist. So material was cheerfully chopped up and paper hexagons were cut out with excruciating care.


Hot snowflakes were never going to catch on!


Unfortunately, as the sewing progressed, my enthusiasm declined. The twists and turns of the pattern were tricky to follow, and the colour contrast wasn't strong enough, making the snowflake difficult to see. It sank to the bottom of the sewing pile. However, the piles of unsewn hexagons niggled away at me, especially as a few fluttered out every time I opened my sewing drawer. In the end, I decided to abandon the rest of the snowflake and fill in the space with darkening reds. Because paper piecing is so easy to pick up and work on for minutes at a time, it has slowly turned into a square - large enough to make the front of a cushion cover. Now it must hang around as an Unfinished Object while I decide what to do for the back of the cushion. And, of course, seek out a project for all those remaining hexagons.



No comments:

Post a Comment