Sunday 6 October 2024

Big Bloomers



Bare Rabbit has some bloomers! 

I was nearly defeated by the first leg of pintucks, which took a long session of folding, pinning, undoing, re-pinning and several cups of tea. The wobbly result is evident! However, after a good night's sleep, the second leg seemed much easier, and I flew through sewing on the gathered trim and up the seams. 

However, it quickly became obvious that the bloomers were going to be huge on Bare Rabbit's skinny legs, not at all how they looked in the book. I debated taking in the side seams for a better fit, but decided not to bother. For one thing, the whole bloomers thing seems a bit below Bare Rabbit's quiet dignity, and the exercise was to improve my sewing skills, which I certainly have done.

I'm not sure why some of the clothes seem to have come out too big. At any rate, I feel I've learned enough for now from this book, and I'm going to have a look for another machine project, because I have enjoyed the process very much. 

The Fairy Tale Quilt is progressing too. All the main pieces are attached, and it's time to add a bit of personality. I'm using tiny beads for eyes, noses and hooves, and had to hunt through the drawer of 'things used once a decade' to find the beading needles. There were two left in a pack of four  (I wonder where the other two are lurking) and both were bent, but, luckily, skinny enough for the tiniest, fiddliest beads. 

Faces can be a bit unpredictable. The slightest crooked stitch or misplaced bead can cause these lovable characters to turn into brooding evil masterminds. Puss in Boots, however, looks like a kindly soul; a bit ironic, because he was a cunning trickster in the story.



Puss in Questionable Boots



Meanwhile, Daddy Bear has the glazed look of a father who was dragged out of bed too early on a Sunday morning and forced to go for a walk before he's even had his porridge. (You can see it cooling in the cottage window.) He too has a pleasant smile, though. A little fly stitch works wonders for the mood.

A hungry bear and his bowl of porridge.


Interestingly, the story of the three bears is included in my German book of Fairy Tales, but in this version, the rotten thief is not a golden haired girl, but a little old lady who utters bad words when things are not to her liking. I much prefer this version, although there is the worrying possibility that she is arrested and thrown into an asylum at the end. Hopefully, I have misunderstood the German.

Finally, here are a couple of Billy Goats Gruff, with their trip-trapping legs flying, although they are nowhere near the bridge. You can imagine those little beaded hooves would make enough noise to try the patience of any troll. I have a soft spot for trolls, and don't like to think of them being bad tempered. Perhaps he'd just had a hard day. 

Clueless-looking goats. They should muffle their hooves.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment