Wednesday 22 April 2020

Fabric Weaving


This week I've been experimenting with different bases for applique. There's a great series of videos about weaving with fabric on Jude Hill's blog https://spiritcloth.typepad.com/, so I've been messing about with remnants from the scrap box. 





Here I've cut the fabric into 1 inch strips and tacked them onto a backing before adding the applique. I wanted to hand sew the raw edges, but in a way that doesn't need to be too neat and would be fun to do - there's nothing worse than spending ages trying to make all the stitches identical. The solution here was to use several different colours round the edges in a simple over-sew stitch. I've used running stitch to hold down the top sides of the woven strips, although this would work better as an  quilting stitch over a thicker backing, which is what I might try next. 

Here the strips for weaving were cut roughly and are a mix of different fabrics. I also cut the shapes for the trees and the little house without too much deliberation, and have stitched them on with running stitch around the raw edges. I tried a variety of ways of securing the weaving - I think the running stitch from the last sample works the best. 

I'm going to try weaving with some bigger strips next - as usual, I've gone for the tiny and fiddly first. It certainly makes an interesting base, without the effort of creating patchwork, and with the added advantage of no bulky seams to sew over.

Meanwhile, I'm about a third of the way through quilting the orange quilt - so plenty to keep me busy!

No comments:

Post a Comment